Lodge’s reading curriculum
At Lodge, we have a bi-weekly reading cycle. During week 1, all children from years 1 – 6 are taught an explicit reading skill. Week 2 is our ‘Mixed Skills’ week. During week 2, all children from years 1- 6 have the opportunity to apply the various explicit reading skills they have learned across the academic year to comprehension activities. Over the course of the two week cycle, children also have the opportunity to read for pleasure, to read to an adult and participate in reading quizzes (Accelerated Reader or Bug Club). All children are exposed to a wide range of reading materials across the curriculum.
Our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Read, Write, Inc. Phonics programme.
This programme is for:
- pupils in reception to year 2 who are learning to read and write
- any pupils in Years 3 and 4 who need to catch up rapidly
We teach pupils to:
- decode letter- sound correspondence
- read tricky words on sight
- understand what they read
- read aloud with fluency and expression